In US senior living, wellness programs are replacing care as the main focus.
This International Council on Active Aging survey identifies five key areas:
1. Education and lifelong learning
2. Exercise (both instructor- and technology-led)
3. Health education and disease management
4. Food and nutrition education and preparation
5. Intergenerational programs linking youth and older adults
The paradigm shift away from care toward wellness can be explained by several factors, the report argues.
One reason is that people are not only living longer but are remaining more healthy and active than previous generations. At the same time, health system changes are prioritizing preventive medicine and population health, creating incentives for organizations to foster wellness rather than treat illness.