Our urban villages provide vibrant, mid-market ‘HAPPI’ designed homes.
A healthy, active place to support social connection.
“The time has come for a national effort to build the homes that will meet our needs and aspirations as we all grow older” HAPPI Housing our Ageing Population: Panel for Innovation
Freedom to enjoy an independent, affordable retirement from the comfort of a HAPPI designed home.
Welcome to a thriving, urban HAPPI community of like minded people.
Enjoy a HAPPI inspired community hub and shared facilities for lifelong learning and an active lifestyle.
A HAPPI home for life with the comfort of flexible, personalised care and assured tenancy.
Innovation and design for later living is evolving because the current generation of retirees wants fuller, richer experiences.
The demand for community, holistic wellness, independence, and increased use of technology is driving increased later living innovation.
This dramatic shift in the age distribution of the population will drive up demand for a variety of housing options amenities, services, activities, and creature comforts.
Baby boomers are inspiring a design reboot of retirement living, by staying active, fit, and engaged in their communities as they age. Wellness aspects such as diet, mindfulness, social engagement, and opportunities to give back to the community all make for a healthier person.
Enabling residents to form new friendships and to engage with people from the outside are core values. In the hierarchy of wellness factors, social engagement is as important as physical well-being. The World Health Organization has listed loneliness as a major health issue.
Later Living Housing Design: Learning from COVID-19
Architect, Stuart Carr, has written an article on later living housing design and incorporated some of the key learnings from the 2020 C-19 pandemic.
‘In such responsibly managed living environments it is likely that health, fitness and wellness will improve, leading to increased longevity’.
Good later living housing – HAPPI homes – involve plenty of space and light. Also accessibility, bathrooms with walk-in showers, the highest levels of energy efficiency and good ventilation.
A pleasing natural environment outside, balconies, and more. If the dangers of loneliness are to be replaced with good social life opportunities, there must be space for people to get together.
Ten HAPPI Principles
Our later living communities combine 10 ‘care ready’ HAPPI design principles that underpin quality ‘age-ready’ housing:
- Generous internal space standards
- Plenty of natural light in the home and in circulation spaces
- Balconies and outdoor space, avoiding internal corridors and single-aspect flats
- Adaptability and ‘care aware’ design which is ready for emerging telecare and tele-healthcare technologies
- Circulation spaces that encourage interaction and avoid an ‘institutional feel’
- Shared facilities and community ‘hubs’ where these are lacking in the neighbourhood
- Plants, trees and the natural environment
- High levels of energy efficiency, with good ventilation to avoid overheating
- Extra storage for belongings and bicycles
- Shared external areas such as ‘home zones’ that give priority to pedestrians
Our light and spacious apartments are energy efficient, well insulated and ventilated.
All one and two bedroom apartments lead directly, via internal corridors, to lifts which open directly onto the communal facilities. Each self-contained apartment is future proofed and ‘care ready’.
- Fitted kitchen with mid-height oven, ceramic hob and integrated fridge/freezer.
- Bathroom with level access shower/wet room.
- Door entry system linked to digital devices.
- Additional 5 sqm balcony*, own front door and up to three habitable rooms.
- Extra storage for belongings.
*Dependent upon site suitability
Our later living villages have a superb range of amenities.
- Wellness clinic
- Beauty Salon
- Hair Salon
- Treatment Room
- Fitness Suite
- Cycle Store
- Assisted Bathrooms
Shifting our ethos from a system that reacts to illness to one that helps prevent or delay its onset and keeps people as well and independent as possible.
Our Empowerment Suite will offer tailored support for residents living with dementia and common mental health issues, aiming to reduce the disabling impact of dementia and improve wellness.
In addition, our Empowerment Programme will a range of opportunities including:
- EatWell Workshops
- Stop Smoking support
- Age UK ‘Digital Champion’ training
- Communal Lounge
- Games Room
- Village Hall (& Exercise Classes)
- Pet Friendly Community
- Gardens, Courtyards & Allotments
- Art & Crafts Room
- Library/IT Lounge
- @Innovate – Care Innovation Forum
- ‘Start a New Hobby’ Workshop
- University of the Third Age (U3A)
- Guest Lectures
- Age UK ‘Digital Champion’ Training
A range of facilities including:
- 24/7 Care Alarm Service
- Duty Manager’s / Warden’s Office
- Bugger/Scooter Store
- Guest Suites
- Building Maintenance & Cleaning
- Internet / Wi-Fi Access
- Undercover Car Parking
- Care Ready Community
Strength & Balance
Despite common misconceptions, falls are not an inevitable part of ageing and can be prevented.
Although there are some NHS rehabilitation services that provide strength and balance programmes, these are often of limited length, making it essential that there are effective community-based strength and balance programmes.
The right kind of HAPPI housing keeps older people healthy and supports them to live independently. In the longer-term, it reduces the need for home care or residential care (leading to savings in health and social care budgets). Living in a later living community enables social connection and reduces loneliness.
“There is a need for three million retirement living properties to house the number of people aged over 65 that would consider downsizing.” Source: Knight Frank, Retirement Housing Report, Sep 2018